Food Science R & D Intern
Pacific Seafood has a robust internship program where our goal is to provide a real-world, meaningful experience, where you are exposed to genuine work for an industry leader dedicated to providing the healthiest protein on the planet.
As an intern, you’ll network with cross-functional teams, other interns and company leaders. In addition to your daily responsibilities, you’ll make a valuable contribution to our team by managing projects from start to finish. Projects are driven by business need and you’ll have the opportunity to give a final presentation to our leadership team, showcasing your awesome work.
As a key member of our growing team of food science professionals, the Food Science R&D Intern will be responsible for analyzing and recommending improvements to various stages of seafood production, focusing primarily on Pacific Seafood’s fresh shucked oyster products. The Food Science R&D Intern will be based at the west coast’s largest shucking/packing plant in South Bend, Washington, otherwise known as the “oyster capital of the world”.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Be a role model in projecting and applying The Pacific Group Diamond Philosophy (Productivity, Quality, Teamwork and Excellence) and promote teamwork at all times.
- Partner with team members in production to develop an understanding of the entire seafood production process, associated process flows, and costing models through hands-on experience, observation and analysis.
- Assess the effectiveness and efficiency of the various stages in the seafood production process.
- Document current-state processes and prepare future-state project proposals, summaries and performance measurements.
- Observe and analyze plant operations, making recommendations that lead to increased yield, improved product quality, and production efficiencies.
- Develop monitoring systems that can be used by plant personnel post-internship.
- Work directly with production supervisors and QA team in monitoring and maintaining FSMA (food safety) and quality standards.
- Support plant GMP and SSOP practices, ensuring regulatory requirements and customer expectations are met.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
Education and Experience
- Pursuit of an undergraduate or graduate degree Food Science, Food Technology, Food Manufacturing or related field, with a targeted graduation between May 2018 & June 2019
- Must have experience simplifying complex information and presenting to diverse audiences, including senior leadership
- Prior work experience in a related field.
- Food Engineering or Food Systems Chemistry coursework, knowledge of Operations Management and Supply Chain a plus.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations or Other Requirements
- Valid driver’s license
Other Knowledge, Skills or Abilities Required
- Advanced analytical skills in Excel.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite including, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word & Visio.
- Ability to cross-functionally network, influence and utilize internal and external resources
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to decipher themes and create stories from large datasets
- Inquisitive, creative, and process orientated mindset
- Ability to travel as needed.
Founded in 1941 by the Dulcich Family, Pacific Seafood remains a family-owned and operated company dedicated to providing the healthiest protein on the planet. Pacific Seafood manages all parts of the supply chain from harvesting/fishing to processing, and distribution in order to provide customers with fresh, sustainable, high-quality products. Pacific Seafood Group is headquartered in Clackamas, OR. It employs more than 3,000 team members across 40+ facilities in 11 states. https://www.pacificseafood.com