Associate Meat Buyer
Provide support to the Director of Meat Procurement. The Meat Buyer will help facilitate all functions of the purchasing department, ranging from negotiating, sourcing, maintaining proper inventories and inspecting for quality of product. Working closely with the multiple companies in providing the meat to meet production goals.
• Develop and maintain working relationship with vendors and suppliers to ensure quality products for all companies.
• Negotiate with suppliers for favorable prices, terms, quality and delivery
• Responsible for maintaining proper meat inventory levels at plants. Oversee ordering and ensure timely delivery to plants.
• Assist in process to negotiate supplier agreement and contracts as needed
• Understanding of USDA, Urner Barry and other markets to provide accurate information for forecasting.
• Participates in the process of understanding market trends, seasonal buying practices and forward buying opportunities.
• Communicate issues or claims with suppliers and negotiates resolution.
• Proactively keeps other departments and or vendors informed of any issues effecting products.
• Work closely with Accounting Department in providing current information to maintain the profitability of all purchases.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong analytical skills along Micro Soft Office with Outlook, Excel and Power Point.
• Ability to provide analysis and forecast to help in future purchasing of materials
• Ability to take initiative and make fact-based decisions
• Accuracy and strong attention to detail are a must.
• Bachelor’s degree in Food Science, Animal Science, Meat Science, Agribusiness or Economics.
• Agriculture background preferred.