JOB TITLE: Microbiologist I
POSITION NUMBER: 1811-94481-M-I-02
POSITION LOCATION: Atlanta, GA, USA
ANTICIPATED START DATE: Two weeks after candidate identification
TRAVEL: As required to fulfill the responsibilities of the position
IHRC, Inc. provides scientific, information management, management consulting, bioinformatics, and administrative program support to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other Federal and private sector clients. The successful candidate will be a full-time employee of IHRC, Inc. and will be assigned to the Respiratory Diseases Branch (RDB), Division of Bacterial Diseases (DBD), National Center for Immunization and Respiratory Diseases (NCIRD), at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1600 Clifton Road, Atlanta, GA, to provide support for the RDB.
SCOPE OF WORK
The Microbiologist I will provide support for research and development of robust, sensitive, and specific biological assays.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist in validation of a culture-independent subtyping method for Legionella from primary samples.
- Isolate Legionella from clinical and environmental samples.
- Extract DNA from Legionella cultures and primary samples.
- Perform real-time PCR assays.
- Perform basic DNA sequence analysis using existing analytic tools.
- Provide performance evaluation data for evaluation of newly developed real-time PCR assay.
- Deliver a sample testing panel for evaluation of the targeted Legionella resequencing assay.
- Provide outbreak response support to CDC’s Emergency Operation Center (EOC) and to DBD in outbreak situations when the EOC is activated.
- Provide field support for CDC outbreak activities both domestic and internationally.
- Provide support to the CDC EOC for agency response activities when the EOC is activated.
Education and Experience:
- Successful completion a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in microbiology, biology, chemistry, or basic medical science that included at least 20 semester hours in microbiology and other subjects related to the study of microorganisms, and 20 semester hours in the physical and mathematical sciences combining course work in organic chemistry or biochemistry, physics, and college algebra, or their equivalent.
- Experience with standard molecular and microbiological techniques
- Proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Documentation of daily work with good laboratory practice compliance
- Experience writing project reports, research protocols and manuscripts
- Advanced degree in a scientific discipline
- Experience with the development and evaluation and optimization of in vitro diagnostic assays
- Experience preparing DNA libraries for next generation sequencing applications
- Experience working in a similar capacity in a Public Health setting
- Ability to work and build coalitions with partners involved, and develop strategies for effectively convey information to partners
- Ability to work independently and yet to maintain the flexibility to respond to requests for support of ongoing projects
- Experience providing outbreak response support preferred
- The candidate must possess excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- Must be United States citizen or permanent resident or have authorization for employment in the United States
SALARY: Commensurate with qualifications and experience
To apply for this position:
- If you are viewing this position on the IHRC Career Center, please click on the "Apply Now" button.
- If you are viewing this position on a site other than the IHRC Career Center, you may use the “click to apply” link, or you may apply by visiting our Career Center and searching for the position number listed at the top of this position description.
- To view all of our open positions, and to apply to those positions in which you may be interested, please visit our Career Center, which can also be reached by visiting www.ihrc.com/Careers and clicking on the “View Opportunities” link.
IHRC, INC. IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY AND AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER. It is the policy of IHRC, Inc. to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, citizenship, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, ancestry, genetic information, veteran or disability status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law, and to take affirmative action in accordance with applicable laws and Executive Orders.