R&D Intern, Food Texture Science Platform (Summer 2022) - Bridgewater, NJ
The Global Innovation intern will be responsible for developing technical digital media materials that communicate food structure from molecular to meso scale as it relates to food texture. They will determine how to effectively distill and convey the technical knowledge of Ingredion’s Food Texture Science Platform to customers for customer engagement, customer education, and digital marketing initiatives. They will synthesize literature and results from previous work performed across functions at Ingredion to create these digital materials, which may include graphics, text, data visualization plots, and video. They will combine their creativity, food science knowledge, and digital media skills to bridge the gaps between food multi-scale structure, measurement, and perception of texture for communication with customers.
During your internship, you will be essential in building tools that help generate sales and build customer relationships. You will belong to a cross-functional organization of food scientists, chemists, materials scientists, sensory scientists, culinologists, and sales and marketing professionals. You will learn how our R&D organization operationalizes innovation from the starting plant material, through converting to a food ingredient, and ultimately to application in foods. You will learn about how food ingredient structure and function yield desired texture in an array of food applications and be responsible for visually communicating and translating these findings into key value propositions for our customers. You will be given the opportunity to meet and greet with upper management and colleagues across the organization, beyond R&D. Upon completion of the summer, you will present to a broad cross-functional team, at multi-levels. A stretch goal will be to publish your work in an online food innovation-focused magazine.
As the R&D Intern, Food Texture Science, your responsibilities will include:
- Developing digital media materials (graphics, video, etc.) that communicate current models of food ingredient systems structure as it relates to texture
- Conducting technical searches on prior art (literature, patents), and current technology including competitive activity on related projects, and summarizing the outcomes in appropriate report
- Compiling and organizing literature and findings across texture-related Ingredion projects, recognizing patterns across the data, and synthesizing the main takeaways into technical top-level reports including text and graphics
- Presenting research findings to management with recommendations for future digital technical communication and marketing projects at completion of internship period
- Maintaining a clean, safe work environment; following guidelines for good housekeeping and safety
- Presenting project status, updates, and outcomes to team and key partners
- Effectively communicating with colleagues, project teams, including cross-functional team members, and key partners
The R&D Intern, Food Texture Science position is well suited for you if you:
- Are an ambitious individual who loves to see and create results
- You love food
- Are creative and enjoy thinking in new ways
- Have proven ability to deliver under agreed upon deadlines
- Are able to work collaboratively with peers and others
- Have solid teamwork skills and are a creative problem solver
Qualified candidates will need to have:
- Progress towards a Bachelor's degree in Food Science, Nutrition, Chemistry or related field;
- Experience with video making, and digital platforms is required
- GPA of at least 3.0 / 4.0 preferred
- Ability to work 40 hrs per week during the internship term
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written technical communication skills, e.g. making presentations and writing technical reports
- Working knowledge of basic computer software applications such as MS Office (Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and other software needed within your specialty area of digital media
- Reliable transportation required to get to and from facility for work each day.
To be eligible for consideration, candidates must:
- Currently possess unrestricted authorization to work in the United States. Ingredion does not intend to sponsor work visas with respect to this position or to provide this position as OPT or CPT.
- Be a currently enrolled student in a Bachelor’s degree program. If currently enrolled in an undergrad status, must have completed at least two years of coursework with status as a sophomore, junior or non-graduating senior.
- If you have completed your degree, please consider other opportunities with Ingredion, posted at ww.ingredion.com/careers.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Ingredion provides accommodations to job applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process. If a job applicant requires an accommodation during the application process or through the selection process, we will work with the applicant to meet the job applicant's accommodation needs.